This week's minutes: The Laramie Project
- It went up. We raised a lot of money. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,500 going to BAGLY.
- Happy with how the show went and attendance.
- The 4-Week Process: It *happened.* Touch and go at the end. Made it happen.
- For future first-slot shows, emphasize the time restraint and logistics of putting up a show in four weeks.
- Without Evan and the absurdly dedicated cast, this wouldn't have gone up.
- Snow days didn't affect us too much due to aforementioned dedication.
- Biggest issues are getting off book - you need a certain amount of time to get reliably off-book so real "directing" can happen.
- For future boards: do not recommend this level of difficulty on a future director. Consider doing a staged reading first; no requirement that charity show has to be first. This option can be excised next year (Spring 2016).
- Evan: thinks the show is a fantastic learning and growing experience as a director. Thought he knew how to deal with a time crunch before - was "kind of right," but this was still *different.* Feel confident in being able to handle anything Mother Nature tries to throw at us.
- Eternally grateful to Aryeh for opportunity. Consider taking assistants to train up in the future.
- Big virtue of "the assistant director:" gives you an idea of what being a director "is like." Time, scheduling, trials of getting off-book. One Acts is a great entry point -- but it's a major jump to a main stage.
- Directors looking for assistant directors: be careful in choosing your assistant. Make sure it's the right person. Be absolutely confident.
- Things we learned: An AD is not an SM. Marisa had a fantastic time despite the short process. Maybe consider assigning an SM or ASM that aren't on tech show. (Major conflict.) Channels of communication: the SM needs to be kept in the loop.
- Keys: who should the stage manager give the keys to if they are unavailable to open the theater? // Ultimately, up to the discretion of the SM. Director, ASM, AD, whoever you trust.
- Marissa returned keys to Eli.
- Establishing roles (heads of production, specifically). Everyone works differently, every team works differently - set clear expectations on how you want things to go. Worked well for Laramie.
- Floating keys can be problematic -- getting contacted by third parties to open spaces. We need a better system to protect people holding keys. (Generally, only eboard members with keys should be being contacted.)
- Strike notes sent to Camille.
- We should be communicating with the charitable organization before the show goes up - we shouldn't just send them a check unannounced. We can establish a partnership and fill seats.
- People can be generous when it comes to charity shows.
- Cilicia had a wonderful experience. Chalk board is still in the theater - needs to be returned to owner.
- Keys returned to Camille.
- Producing went well despite short process. Final ticket sales were $1,182. $100 in donation box. Sold out Saturday, near sold out Friday.
- Having a local charity is nice because you can reach out to them and establish partnerships. Locals more likely to care.
- We need a new vacuum desperately - it barely works.
- The cabinet display case outside is frozen shut.
- OOShirts is an unreliable vendor. Don't use them again.
- Major issues with speakers during tech week. Eli has contacted people to try and fix them. The amps are going to need to be replaced. The amp is ours - we would have to replace it ourselves.
- Debra will mercifully and gratefully take the lead on this.
Angels in America
- Lots of progress in the room.
- We open in 2 weeks (HAHAHAHA). Think we're in an okay place.
- Actors are great on lines.
- Ryan Chernin will be guest directing Monday of tech week.
- Will need to figure out when to move-in.
- Light meeting sent up for next Wednesday. Volunteers happy to help. Ilana will be doing sound (yay!) (That sounds nice!)
- For future staged reading: many people did not know what they were signing up for. Some confusion over that amongst the actors.
- Expectations and commitments need to be made clear to auditioning actors at the time of the next staged reading.
- Shirts are made - deadline extended a little. Poster photos are hopefully being taken Tuesday, barring objections from OB, who has the theater.
- No producing budgets - imploring help from people with high print quotas.
- Head shots are happening.
- Reaching out to similar groups that Kimball reached out to for Laramie - similar themes and interest areas.
- DHD will be getting emails from Laramie and reaching out to them for promotion.
- Line issues with some cast members. Hard off book was close but wasn't quite there.
- Some people during soft off book period had scripts in-hand.
- Need the EventBrite link to complete our BUS ad submission. Consider using a QR code?
- Show is in a good place.
- Absolutely zero excuses after Spring Break.
- Mandatory meetings with SMs?
- Use rehearsal time for mandatory line learning?
- Things are coming together! Getting desks tomorrow, Home Depot Thursday.
- All other departments are moving along. Only thing that is concerning is the blood sacrifice on top of Idine.
- Need to practice with the knife.
- Carpet is happening! Backup plan if it doesn't come fireproofed.
- Spring break is being a demon, people assume they have more time than they do.
- T-shirt design is finalized.
- Photo shoot happened today.
- One-sheet programs are happening.
- Programs were not dismissed lightly. Producing budgets did not allow for both that and advertising.
- Katy Taylor as Head Set Dec: Do we want a board for the theater - a changeable directory. Needs about $50 more.
- Blocked Act 1 and 2. Soft off book. Hard off book this week, along with blocking Act 3.
- Actors need to be talking to Alison when they will be late or have conflicts.
- Department meetings are done! PO deadline is set. Production photo days set. Frustration exists - so much stuff.
- We have a shirt design in the works - nearly done. Tentative production shot date. One page programs are looking likely due to money.
- Eli had a great idea for the posters, just need an artist.
- Warren posters are still available. Eli wants one for Private Lives.
- Has been sick. Feel better!
- Fun primer in theater maintenance. Speaker problems happened. They technically work right now. For future reference: call 617-353-HELP for these sort of problems.
- OR NOT. We need to buy new speakers, basically.
- The current setup is unnecessarily complicated. The volume is perpetually set way too high. Cause of the hissing noise.
- We need an official eboard policy on the theater sound system. Debra can help. Praise Debra. Hail Debra.
- Received link tables for Hail Satan!, Angels, and Private Lives.
- The theater was too hot. Facilities fixed it the second time Eli called.
- Keep in mind no rooms can be booked before 7 PM on Saturday makeup class days.
- New policy may need to be instated about "due dates" for room requests. Stay tuned.
- All pitches are picked up! 4 main stage pitches (reading committee emails going out tonight), 1 parents weekend pitch, quite a few one act pitches!
- When are we doing One Acts auditions? During Angels tech week so that One Acts can have as much time as possible.
- Eli and Celia need to have a meeting about BUSTies stuff - specifically event location.
- BUSTies host pitches tonight!
- When is reading committee? March 15th (one week before GM).
- Sarah returns keys to Joe
- Raised over $4000 for The Laramie Project; BAGLY is surprised we're donating stuff to them?
- Only went to SAO once -- filled out PO for Hail Satan! wood
- Karen will be restocking part of the makeup kit!
- Brushes came in, reimbursement will be distributed once Joe gets receipt
- One Acts Producers will happen eventually!
- Tweets and Instagrams went well. Get photos as soon as possible, even if they aren't official production photos.
- Members -- keep favoriting and retweeting, it gets the attention of major BU tweets.
- Lights are back in The Space!
- Need to send that email to Liquid Fun (if it didn't already go out? Huh?)
- Schedule for 2015-16 is in and "done."
- Apologies for the heat in the meeting space.
- Meeting with Joe tomorrow about Parents Weekend budget.
- When are we meeting again - March 15th, Sunday after Spring Break.