Executive Board Notes 10/28/18

Show Check-Outs

F&F: Footloose

  • Director: Babatunde A.

    • The show went well; very proud of the entire team

    • Everyone seemed proud of what they created

    • Great audience turn out and response

    • For the future: when pitching for F&F, don’t be concerned with having a perfect show but rather with having an enjoyable experience with the cast, crew, and creative team—with that, an incredible show will come

  • AD: Abbey M.

    • Loved the process; inspired to pitch!

  • MD: Doug B.

    • A great experience; 5-week rehearsal period was very helpful for getting everything done

    • Suggestion going forward: Techstravaganza should be mandatory for department heads and SMs

  • TD: Jake T.

    • Had a great time through and through

    • Crew was AMAZING; would happily recommend any of them for future positions, including greater leadership positions

    • Some room for improvement in working with SAO

    • For the future: in addition to what Babatunde said, be ready to roll with the punches and be adaptable; have fun!

  • SM: Jen M.

    • Such a great process, and the joy experienced by the cast during the performances was really felt in the audience

    • For the most part, things went smoothly and problems were dealt with quickly and free of drama

    • Had difficulty entering into the creative team dynamic, considering most of the team was established months in advance

    • Suggestion for the future: make an effort to establish all members of a creative team, including SMs, roughly around the same time to avoid odd power dynamics

    • Overall, this was an enjoyable process: feels proud of the show and happy to have made new friends!

  • Producer: Kendall G.

    • All reimbursements are taken care of

    • Everything went well; had a great experience and would do it again

    • A few roadblocks with SAO, but everything worked out really well

    • In the future: consider GSU advertising over Warren posters

    • Sold out Tsai!

  • Choreographer: Kim Z.

    • This was an incredible experience, especially as a first-time choreographer for musical theater

    • Agrees that the extra week made a HUGE difference in terms of getting things done and managing stress

    • Creating the choreography in advance (over the summer) turned out to be highly useful and productive

    • Ridiculously proud of every last person who worked on this show. Would do it all again!

Show Check-Ins

The Nerd

  • Director: Flannery G.

    • Move-in went really smoothly—the set is beautiful!

    • Rehearsal after move-in wasn’t as productive as it could’ve been; however, everyone has been working very hard and pacing is important

    • Cast seems excited and ready—in a good place

  • TD: Zach L.

    • Move-in went really well; everyone was super helpful and fast

    • Had enough time despite later start time

    • Made sugar glass plates on Friday with Flan and Jake

    • Excited to see show come together with tech elements

  • SM: Rachel R.

    • Move-in was surprisingly smooth

    • Cast seems a little tired but ready for tech week

    • Met with lights and sound to talk about cues, will meet with lights again

  • Producer: Ruth J.

    • T-shirts arrived on schedule

    • Started taking headshots

    • Organizing GSU Link table

    • GSU digital poster (TV) is up

    • Michelle is working on promotion outside of BU sphere

Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical

  • Director: Syd R.

    • Some challenges, but very proud of the cast for their focus and dedication

    • Photoshoot planned for next weekend; having cast bring in costume pieces starting this week

    • a bit nervous about wigs arriving on time

    • Despite it all, things are progressing as smoothly as possible

  • MD: Ben C.

    • Is alive

    • Had big music rehearsal today

    • Still need to meet with Brian and Syd to work out pit set up in Student Theater

  • Choreographer: Arielle K.

    • Finished up last bits of teaching choreography today

    • Filled in some choreography gaps in songs, reviewed, and made sure everyone was all caught up if they missed anything

    • Ran all of act 1 yesterday—went really well

    • Did some fun improv-based exercises to work on characterization and world-building; cast seemed to really enjoy!

    • Touched base with producers

    • Super productive weekend

  • TD: Brian R.

    • Had tech meeting this week; tried to accommodate the The Nerd move-in

    • Getting gas masks together this week—Boston Theater Potluck was super helpful

    • Setting up meeting with Ben and Syd to organize pit in Student Theater

    • There will be a producing meeting sometime this week

    • Build is next week; wood order should be arriving Friday

  • SM: Ariana T.

    • Cast is doing really well; very proud

    • Trying to figure out where pit will fit; will affect actors’ blocking for scene transitions/exiting—trying to resolved these problems before tech week

    • Starting full runs this week

    • Soft and hard off-book dates approaching this week

    • Running lines with individual actors

    • Cast will be changing cover photos to support The Nerd; cast bonding event to see the show

    • Photoshoot happening Saturday morning

    • Talked to Erin re: rehearsal rooms and getting Troupe’s keyboard

  • Producers: Andrea R. and Sage H.

    • Met with assistant producer

    • Warren poster is done and submitted for printing; spot is reserved

    • Made and ordered stickers based off of Syd’s design

    • Sent out bio forms for programs yesterday

Open Board Business:

E-Board Check-Ins:

  • President: Alba

    • Went to build week for The Nerd

    • Saw Last Gas and it was really good

    • Went to The Nerd move-in

    • gave division of power talk for The Nerd

    • Gave Rachel tips for calling the show

    • Worked with Marcella to do a Stage Troupe take-over on the Class Gift social media

  • VP: Erin

    • Diversity Workshop with the Howard Thurman Center will officially happen Saturday November 3rd at 2 PM

    • Booked a GSU Link table for The Nerd

    • Saw Last Gas

  • VPSP: Ariana

    • Talking to a lot of people about One Acts

    • Getting Reading Committee sign-ups; hoping to have all of committees organized by the end of the night

  • Secretary: Kim

    • Saw Last Gas with Alba!

    • Created Facebook Event for The Nerd

    • Reached out the The Nerd producing team for promotional material and production shots

  • TD: Alicia

    • Footloose strike; tying up the loose ends

    • Mystery wood delivery?

    • Having Carrie and The Nerd in the Space was busy, but it worked out

    • Lots of rental contracts have been created and filled out; some for Carrie need to be updated

    • Need to make some purchases for some materials (gaff tape, fireproofing, new blade, etc.)

    • Spoke with some pitch teams about tech visions, which is exciting

    • Wandering Minds did a great job maintaining Space and Student Theater; painted the stage

    • Working on feedback forms for tech teams for other groups