Spring 2015

Step-by-Step Procedure for General Meeting #5

Hello Troupies! We understand there has been some confusion regarding what is happening with the potential for a recall vote originally described in an email sent to our membership earlier this week. Some members have come to us in the days since to help better understand the situation and ask clarifying questions, and we encourage everyone to always ask an executive board member when there is any confusion in any matter.

That said: in this blog post, we will be outlining what exactly will be happening this Sunday in regards to the potential for a recall vote. As we mentioned in that email, we greatly encourage you to read Really Really (which was attached in PDF form) prior to that meeting so that you may be fully informed.

Before that, though, there has been additional confusion as to the how and why of eboard asking the membership permission for a recall vote in the first place. Below is a brief recap.

Really Really was originally pitched and voted into our Fall 2015 season. In the weeks following this vote, the executive board was approached by a number of members (who have mostly chosen to remain anonymous, though they may step forward on their own accord if they so choose). These members expressed concern that the pitching team failed to adequately address concerns brought up by the reading committee - and in some cases, members felt the show was misrepresented on certain issues. Because of this, the involved membership felt that the show was not necessarily pitched fairly, and that some members that voted to include it in the season might have changed their selection had they been fully aware of the content. The executive board members who participated on the reading committee agreed that there was validity to the complaints.

The executive board examined the Stage Troupe Constitution (viewable under Forms & Resources on this website) to see how to respond to the membership concerns. There is no language, for or against or otherwise, regarding a situation in which the reading committee fails to adequately inform the membership about a show's content due to misrepresentation in the pitching team's responses. Some have asked why we did not clarify the discrepancies during the pitch meeting. Prior to the pitch meeting, the executive board agreed to maintain as neutral and silent as possible in response to all pitches. In other words, we did not anticipate needing to speak up, and we did not know if we could or should. In retrospect, we agreed that the executive board participating on the reading committee should have the right to moderate responses if they feel the pitching team is evading or misrepresenting a show. This will be our policy going forward.

We turned to Eric Jacobsen, our student group advisor, for guidance on the present situation. He explained there is no precedent for a scenario like this and offered a series of potential options in moving forward. We ultimately decided that because a significant contingent of the membership felt the show's content was misrepresented, the situation was worthy of pursuing and the show worthy of reexamination. We decided that the most reasonable option was to suggest a recall vote to the membership.

The possibility of a recall vote is not explicitly dictated one way or another in the Stage Troupe Constitution, and we cannot assume permission in calling for a recall. Instead, we are asking the membership for a one-time referendum on allowing a recall vote in this specific instance. This requires a simple majority, fifty percent or greater, to be approved and enacted. Another option we had was making the recall vote a specific "Executive Board Policy," created with the permission of Article 23; if we were to do this, a member could oppose the recall and call for a reversal of policy, but this would require an eighty percent vote against. We chose not to pursue an Article 23 solution, as it would require the executive board to take a hard stance that we deserve the right to have the recall and would imply the recall should be used in future scenarios. Because we anticipate "closing the loophole" for future semesters by allowing an executive board member on the reading committee to moderate potentially misrepresentative responses, we intend for this potential recall vote to be a one-time occurrence in this scenario.

A recall vote, if approved by the membership (via simple majority), would include a review and clarification of the potentially misunderstood content of the show. The pitching team (in this instance, Rachel Skalka) would be allotted time to respond to any lingering concerns. Both sides would be allotted six minutes, the same time limit as a regular pitch. After this, an anonymous vote would be taken, with simple majority ruling. If greater than fifty percent of the membership rules against Really Really in light of the new and/or clarified information, it will be removed from the season and pitches for the final main stage slot will be reopened. If less than fifty percent of the membership rules against Really Really, it stays in the season as planned - nothing changes.

This brings us to this Sunday's general meeting.

There are two separate issues up for vote here. Whether or not we examine the second is contingent on the outcome of the first. Below is the breakdown of what each scenario would entail.

1) Members will enter the meeting. At least twenty five dues paying members must be present to achieve quorum. If less than twenty five members appear, the meeting will be delayed or rescheduled.

2) Eric Jacobsen, our faculty advisor, will read off relevant portions of the Constitution and explain why there is currently no language regarding a recall vote. He will also review the purpose of the reading committee. The executive board will then make final statements on why we are asking for a recall vote, on principle. Specifics of Really Really will not be discussed.

3) An anonymous, written vote will be taken on whether or not the Stage Troupe Executive Board has a right to ask the membership for a one-time referendum "recall vote." Simple majority rules. Only members who have paid dues prior to this week's email may participate in this vote.

OUTCOME A: Less than fifty percent of the membership votes in favor of having a recall vote on principle. The recall vote does not occur, and the general meeting moves on to other topics (including Staged Reading pitches).

OUTCOME B: Greater than fifty percent of the membership votes in favor of having a recall vote on principle. The recall vote will occur, and we move on to Step 4.

4) The executive board and any concerned membership that wishes to speak will present their case as to why they felt Really Really's content was misrepresented. (Concerned membership must discuss with the executive board an intent to speak prior to the meeting.) Clarifying evidence will be presented. They will have six minutes to make their case.

5) The pitching team, Rachel Skalka, will offer any clarifications she sees fit. She will also have six minutes.

6) An anonymous, written recall vote will be taken on whether or not Really Really should remain in Stage Troupe's Fall 2015 season. Simple majority rules. Only members who have paid dues prior to this week's email may participate in this vote.

OUTCOME A: Less than fifty percent of the membership votes in favor of removing Really Really from the season. The show is not recalled and remains in the season as planned. Nothing changes.

OUTCOME B: Greater than fifty percent of the membership votes in favor of removing Really Really from the season. The show is recalled and is no longer part of the season. Democratic pitches will be reopened by any interested directors to be pitched and voted on prior to the end of the semester. If she so chooses, Skalka may pitch another show.

7) The general meeting moves on to other topics (including the Staged Reading pitches).

As always, if there is any further clarification needed, please feel free to email stage@bu.edu or contact an executive board member (their contact information is available on this website). We appreciate everyone keeping discourse professional.

Executive Board Meeting Notes 4/5/2015

This week's minutes: PRIVATE LIVES -Both boys giving trouble to SM this week; Nick will be back Wednesday. He needed to go home - family emergency. -The girls are stars. -Move in happened/happening, is awesome. Great news is things look great. Techies coming into rehearsals is helpful. -Easter Sunday made move in a bit tricky - hard to get people to show up when they have religious conflicts. -Dream team is literally a dream. Shirts are in. All imagery is done. GSU and Link are set. Lobby is in the works! Change your profile picture and cover photo tonight! Invite people on Facebook event!

ONE ACTS -Zoe: doing well. 2 rehearsals! Can't do much until they're off book; off book date is Tuesday. Tech meeting went well. -Ali: show is going great, Evan is memorized, 4 rehearsals a week, rooms reserved. Easy, fun process. -DHD/Andy: show is going well, second rehearsal happened, line memorization is in the work. Show is blocked. Dirty Rotten is in tech week but will still try and meet. -Tech: meeting happened today, half of the crew showed up despite Easter! Meeting with SMs tomorrow. Documents being hated with department heads. -Producing: email going out to directors tonight. You might get an assistant or two.

ABI -Nothing

ELI -BU Central, Tuesday the 28th, time TBD

CELIA -Space for BUSTies! The team is fabulous, producing video content -Meetings and checkins once a week

JOE -Not present

KYLE -Retweeting anything tagged with @StageTroupe -Updating the widget -FB event for town hall meeting -reminder for staged reading pitches

CAMILLE -last minute rental with bloody bloody sorted out -no money from willing suspension yet -Wandering Minds coming next week! -reserved dumpster for space cleaning -changing date for space cleaning - April 25th, now a Saturday, 11 AM -TA app is on the way!

OTHER

Can we reevaluate how producers have to pay out of pocket for shirts up front?

Finding out when dinner with Dean Elmore is

Executive Board Meeting Notes 3/29/15

This week's minutes: Angels in America

  • DHD's producing checkout: in the future, we need a budget. You have to spend money to make money, an actual money is required for physical advertising around campus.

Hail Satan!

  • Mac Rogers saw it. He loved it. This is great.
  • The show went incredibly smoothly. People really seemed to enjoy it!
  • Shouts out to Jamie for being an incredible TD. Most pleasant tech week and strike I've ever experienced.
  • Don't count out modern, unknown works. Stage Troupe can really excel when there aren't preexisting relationships.
  • Zach King had a fantastic experience as an assistant director. This experimental "training up assistant director" thing went really well. This very easily could have not worked.
    • Zach thinks this worked because:
    • There was a lot of trust in the relationship.
    • Lot of ability to debate ideas.
    • Great introduction to the directing and rehearsal process.
  • Celia: tech meeting went amazingly well. Never been this efficient.
  • Extremely proud of assistants, Taylor and Abby. They each called a show in the booth one show night. Hooray for training, we should do this more!
  • Full recommendation for Taylor and Abby to be assigned as full head stage managers.
  • SM keys returned to Eli.
  • Jamie: Things went so smoothly. Very happy with how efficient everyone and everything was.
  • Don't try and put a carpet in the theater. It isn't worth the paperwork.
  • Would have been super convenient to have a car to move all of the furniture.
  • There was a bizarre shortage of techies during tech notes at the end of runs. People were not present throughout tech week, which was frustrating and resulted in extra work for Jamie and Caitlin.
  • Formal recommendation for Caitlin to be promoted to full TD.
  • TD keys given to Karen.
  • David: Reimbursements will happen.
  • We did okay ticket sales wise. 80 or so Friday and Saturday. What could've been done better? Not sure. Lots of promotion. Maybe the title was the issue?
  • There were times where there could have been more straight forwardness between heads.
  • Don't use OO Shirts. Ever. We will get shirts eventually. God help us.
  • Joe will provide a better shirt vendor to future producers.
  • Having to be a head of production when you had a show the previous week was a mess.
  • Miscommunication about who can get the EventBrite password.
  • Confusion over who actually does the POs - the treasurer or the head producers? Clarify for the future.
  • Daily Free Press reviewed Wednesday's dress rehearsal. Good review, approve of reviewing on principle, lots of nice exposure. Consider emailing DFP, Quad, etc. to clarify review policy?

Private Lives

  • Going swimmingly. We have rehearsals all throughout this week. Things are coming together, bit by bit by bit.
  • Allison: Things are going well. Yay SMs.
  • [Allison and Joe thumbs up'd each other.]
  • Karen: Build week is this week; move-in on Sunday. Dirty Rotten is moving in on the same day. We are planning to have a "midnight move-in," which means...... moving in some major set pieces on Saturday.
  • We need to check with Willing Suspensions to make sure they're out of the theater.
  • People are killing it tech-wise.
  • Dream Team: Photo shoot "mostly happened" today. A couple reshoots will happen for various reasons. Shirts will be in Friday.
  • CustomInk is a better shirt company but it costs more.
  • Programs are in the works.
  • Poster is almost finished. Bus Ads have been submitted - maybe use it for the GSU digital signage? Switch it out for an updated image once it's ready.
  • Joe gave Brittany producer keys.

Abi

  • Forgot what she was going to say.

Eli

  • Nothing to share.

Celia

  • Meeting with BUSTies hosts and event managers. Went very well, very productive. Deadlines for promotional elements were set.
  • Finalizing roasts.
  • One Acts:
    • Ali: Second time directing a one act. Can handle it, apparently. Show is cast, first rehearsal tomorrow. Got the rehearsal time wrong. This bodes well. Communicated tech needs to Camille. Ready to roll. There were significantly fewer auditions this semester versus last semester (something like 50 versus 12). Consider planning One Acts auditions much sooner in the semester; avoid a tech week at all costs.
    • Andy/DHD: first rehearsal happened yesterday! Went well! Will work more to cement a rehearsal schedule. Last scene is blocked. Tech needs communicated to Camille.
    • Zoe: everyone in the process has been tangled in Hail Satan! Really happy with the cast. Disappointed by lack of auditions. Will be on top of things after two consecutive tech weeks going forward.
    • Include playwright names in the programs and promotional materials.
  • Abby Kass & Paulina Ke will be performing comedic monologues.

Joe

  • Went to SAO. Dealt with Hail Satan! rights - they are paid for.
  • Rights for Zoe's One Acts are being paid for this week.
  • Karen Loewy will be producing One Acts! Looking for any interested assistants.
  • BUSTies EventBrite will go up soon.
  • Private Lives EventBrite is live: troupeprivate.eventbrite.com
  • We officially have the rights to Seussical the Musical!

Kyle

  • Received email from an interested Troupie; passed her to Camille.
  • If you tag @StageTroupe on Twitter to promote something, I will retweet it, no questions asked.
  • Will email Willing Suspensions.

Camille

  • Camille offered an emailed checkin.

Eric

  • Not here yet.

Other

  • Apparently the back-of-house speakers did not work during Hail Satan! Debra has been asked to fix/look into things. She is confused about what specifically she'd like us to do. Will have her investigate and inform us what she believes the problem is.

Spring 2015 Tech Team

Hello again membership! Below is an exhaustive list of everyone who is assigned to a tech team, in case you ever need to check for one reason or another. THE LARAMIE PROJECT Director Aryeh Harris-Shapiro Asst. Director Evan Creedon Technical Director Cilicia Rios ATD Devika Bajaj SM Marissa Kristy ASM Sophie Heyman ASM Sarah Moody Hair/Makeup Abby Kass Asst. Hair/Makeup Taylor Tessitore Asst. Hair/Makeup Annie Tillis Costumes Bridget Baker Asst. Costumes Eli Brenna Asst. Costumes Celia Gibson Asst. Costumes Roxanne Rittman Props Ali Edwards Asst. Props Lee Condakes Asst. Props Austin Crann Lights Sam Hoffman Asst. Lights Julia Cohen Asst. Lights Michael Marcin Asst. Lights Marisa Mendes Sound Debra Marcus Asst. Sound Ryan Morano Set Camille Arvisu Set Claire Buesser Set Emma Gebhard Set Kate Hays Set Zack Kennedy

ANGELS IN AMERICA Director Cara Dwyer Stage Manager Sydney Charvat Asst. Stage Manager Abi Oshins

HAIL SATAN! Director Kyle Tague Asst. Director Zach King Technical Director Jamie Johannsen ATD Cailtin Fournier SM Celia Gibson ASM Abby Kass ASM Taylor Tessitore Hair/Makeup Bridget Baker Asst. Hair/Makeup Abby Smith Asst. Hair/Makeup Alicia Winton Costumes Emily Prescott Asst. Costumes Cilicia Rios Asst. Costumes Emily Zisko Props Joe Gambino Asst. Props Danielle Diamond Asst. Props Emma Gebhard Lights Courtney Bayruns Lights Tehya Saylor Asst. Lights Melissa Hunter Asst. Lights Karen Loewy Asst. Lights Brittany Kamson Sound Joe McLaughlin Asst. Sound Erin Billings Set Design Jason Fox Asst. Set Design Anush Swaminathan Set Decoration Katy Taylor Asst. Set Dec Nicholas Clark Asst. Set Dec Jessi Mitrovich Asst. Set Dec Katie Teran Scenic Artist Evanne Deatherage Painter Kelly Blasberg Painter Kate Hays Painter Andy Moeller Master Carpetner Camille Arvisu Build Patrick Casey Build Thompson Cragwell Build Michael Marcin Build Jeremy Oshins Build Veronica Priest

PRIVATE LIVES Director Joe McLaughlin Technical Director Karen Loewy M. ATD Sam Kinde SM Alison Parker ASM David Hunt ASM Sarah Kimball Hair/Makeup Sarah Moody Asst. Hair/Makeup Cara Dwyer Asst. Hair/Makeup Kaitlyn Jones Asst. Hair/Makeup Emily Zisko Costumes Brittany Jenkins Asst. Costumes Claire Buesser Asst. Costumes Christy George Asst. Costumes Abby Smith Props Jamie Johannsen Asst. Props Evan Creedon Asst. Props Paulina Ke Lights Celia Gibson Asst. Lights Zack Kennedy Asst. Lights Ryan Morano Asst. Lights Elizabeth Pilger Sound Ilana Berman Asst. Sound Kyle Tague Set Design Marissa Kristy Asst. Set Design Melany Vazquez Heredia Set Decoration Camille Arvisu Set Decoration Ali Edwards Asst. Set Dec Erin Billings Asst. Set Dec Cailtin Fournier Scenic Artist Abi Oshins Painter Cammi Marcin Painter Jessi Mitrovich Painter Jeremy Oshins Master Carpetner Scott Backman Build Jacob Holmes Build Ryan Kelly Build Shoshana Koff Build Idine Mousavi Build Jordan Newman Build Anush Swaminathan

Fall 2015 Pitch Season

Hello membership! For the second time, we will be releasing the main stage pitches received for our Fall 2015 season. Any dues paying member is encouraged to attend our Third General Meeting on March 22, 7 PM, in the Agganis Student Theater. At that meeting, you will hear the creative teams pitch their shows, as well as address any potential issues our reading committee came across in their evaluation. Then, you will have the opportunity to vote for the two mainstage shows you’d like to make up our Fall 2015 season. Keep in mind the Parents Weekend show is decided by the executive board and Dean of Students office; we will have made our selection by the time of the Third General Meeting, so you have a better picture of the season you are voting for. Additionally, keep in mind Staged Reading pitches are due April 1st, with one pitch being selected by the executive board. (This makes for a total of four shows - Parents Weekend, a staged reading, and two main stages.)

Remember that you are voting for a season, not just two shows you happen to like. And remember – democracy only works if people show up. No excuses: get there and vote!

Here are the shows that were submitted as main stages (in alphabetical order). Take advantage of the time you have from now until March 22nd to research the shows and ask the creative teams questions. An informed vote is a good vote!

Deathtrap - Kyle Tague The Pillow Man - Karen Loewy Really Really - Rachel Skalka Wit – Joseph McLaughlin

The following were submitted for consideration for Parents Weekend. The executive board will make a selection by the Third General Meeting on March 22nd.

Spring Awakening – Evan Creedon, Music Direction by Jessie Rosso

Finally, here are the pitches for Summer Show, which goes up for BU Orientation students over seven weeks throughout the summer. A summer show will be selected by the executive board before the end of the semester.

Betrayal - Aryeh Harris-Shapiro & Kyle Tague The Glass Menagerie - Katy Taylor This Is Our Youth - Emily Prescott Proof - Ali Edwards

Note: If you believe your pitch is missing, there’s a typo, or you notice any other sort of problem, please let me know. Have great weeks!

Executive Board Meeting Notes: February 15th, 2015

This week's minutes: The Laramie Project

  • Rehearsed this week as much as possible (despite weather)
  • Zisko was sick, found ways to make days productive
  • Line-through happened yesterday, went "acceptably," not in trouble
  • Could it have gone better? Yes.
  • Took head shots
  • Snow sucks. No tech meeting due to that. Student Theater being used this week thanks to OB.
  • Moving in a week early, gonna be stored in the workshop. Yay!
  • Only one department meeting
  • Cilicia will be receiving keys tonight.
  • Kristy feels good hooray
  • Photoshoot went really well for promotional materials!

Angels in America

  • Scheduled to be blocked by end of the week. Some actors already memorized. "It's a beautiful thing."
  • Producer's shirt is "aces"
  • Lighting volunteers secured!
  • Conflicts overall have been problematic due to tech show and OB, etc.
  • Actors will have scripts in hand during the show. "Rocking and rolling"
  • Worked on the shirt.
  • Poster materials will be done next week

Hail Satan!

  • Scheduling this week was rough! But it's gonna be okay!
  • Set design and scenic artist meetings happened. Set design nearly done. Scenic artist will have almost everything ready this week.
  • Department meetings happening this week.
  • Cut list this week, Home Depot run hopefully 2/23?
  • Money is confusing... "have a beautiful day."
  • Waiting on budget and OrgSyc workshop.
  • T-shirt is nearly ready.
  • Budgets need to be finalized!

Private Lives

  • Snow canceled several rehearsals, but been assigning line work and making plans to catch up.
  • Act 1 is nearly blocked ("pretty bomb")
  • Department meetings happening this week
  • Had email checkins, met with set design
  • Meeting with Joe/team this week, need a budget. Need to know OrgSync stuff.

Abi

  • Coffee with the president slots have been scheduled
  • Bridget used first aid kit at theater after Celia suffered a minor finger injury. It is understocked. She will talk to Joe about replenishing it.

Eli

  • Cilicia texted Eli about using the theater before Laramie, answer is yes, it's OB's theater this week technically.
  • Rooms are annoying, couldn't schedule any on Monday/Tuesday. Wait time was multiple hours. They were finally done on Friday.
  • He needs bystander training info.
  • We need One Acts time slot and location.

Celia

  • Tech show happened.
  • Roast assignments happening this week.
  • No one showed up to pitch BUSTies except a sarcastic, apathetic Aryeh.

Joe

  • OrgSync is still a learning experience
  • Still trying to figure out paying Mac Rogers, SAO is being difficult
  • Assigning budgets this week
  • We should put out a bulletin on potentially interested eboard members

Kyle

  • Nothing new to report, 2nd GM recap went out I suppose

Camille

  • TECH SHOW WAS GREAT
  • Some difficulty with lights due to challenge of craft but other than that most tech happened!
  • Wandering Minds rented a bunch of furniture, will be paying us
  • Training of ATDs hasn't happened due to weather

Eric was not available due to weather.